For young adults (16-19) and young learners (12-15)
Mini-stay courses are offered to closed groups of young adults (16-19) and young learners (12-15) all year round, with a minimum of 7 in a group. A typical mini-stay course is designed to balance an academic programme in the mornings (15 hours/20 lessons) with additional cultural and social activities in the afternoon and at weekends. Each group has input into what is studied, how free time is spent and which additional excursions are booked. All levels are offered from beginner (A1) to proficiency (C2) and mixed level groups can also be accommodated.
Academic programmes available
Mini Stay: General English
- Based on our General English courses.
- Aimed at developing all areas of language – speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- The focus can be designed to suit the individual needs of the group.
Mini Stay: English for Work
- Based on our English for Work course.
- Concentrates on specific functions in the working environment e.g. presentations, negotiation.
- Teachers also add extra material and activities, which may include computer based activities, games, music, dvds and newspapers.
- Can include educational visits that support learning in the classroom.
Mini Stay: Project based programmes
- This academic programme encourages communication and the use of English in natural situations in a creative and interactive environment. A topic is selected for each week of the group’s stay and the language studied is relevant to the topic and varies from level to level and with the ages of the learners. Learners share their final project work in a presentation and/or show to the group leaders and another class.
Possible topics are:
- Choose from one of Capital School of English’s Project Topics (for example): The Environment, Film, History, Culture and
Celebrations, the Media and Heroes and Villains.
Mini Stay: Exam Preparation Classes
- For students preparing to take one of the Cambridge Exams or Academic IELTS
- Follow a bespoke programme, depending on the group’s needs
- Focus on all or particular skills with modules such as Speak for Success, Grammar for Cambridge, Academic Listening, Effective Reading, Vocabulary for IELTS and Writing for Exams
Mini Stay + Exam Preparation: Trinity Graded Examination in Spoken English (GESE)
During their stay learners have the option to undertake a Trinity GESE examination. These exams test learners’ speaking and listening skills and focus on building motivation and confidence in using English.
The exams involve an unscripted conversation with a Trinity examiner, which covers a range of topics and tasks.
“It’s a good school and teacher is great. I learn new things in 2 weeks only.” Kindzy, 16, France
“I really enjoyed my time here and it helped me to improve my English skills.” Andrea, 15, Italy
“Capital School of English is the best school our students have ever attended.” Francesca, Group Leader, Italy
“You learn very well and after 2 or 3 weeks you can understand and talk with everybody. Everybody in the school is very friendly.” Vincent, 17, Switzerland
“It’s been an incredible experience. Every person from the staff has behaved in a professional and caring way” Antonio, Group Leader, Spain
Mini Stay Programme Enquiry Form
Mini Stay + Integration
- Spend time in a secondary school, from 1 day to 1 week
- Follow the same timetable as an English student
- Spend break times and lunches with a ‘buddy’: a pupil of the same age
- Students immersed in local culture and make friends
- Experience subject specific tuition in English
Mini Stay + Social Activities
- Choose from a range of afternoon, evening and weekend activities: Sports, Treasure Hunt, Photographic Challenge, Film and Quiz Evenings, British Culture Presentation, Games Evening
- Visits to local places of interests, such as historic Christchurch and Poole Quay
- Our activities team work hard to ensure that additional activities and excursions are related to weekly topics.
Mid Week Half Day Excursions:
- World Heritage Site: The Jurassic Coast
- Anglo-Saxon Winchester
Weekend Full Day Excursions
- World Heritage Site:The Jurassic Coast & 800 year old Corfe Castle
- Stonehenge and Salisbury (entrance additional cost)
- Swanage and Corfe Castle
- London’s famous sights
- Oxford’s Colleges including Chris Church College (additional cost) as seen in the Harry Potter films.
- Historic Bath (entrance to baths additional cost)
Alternative Weekend Full Day Excursions (at additional cost)
- Portsmouth’s Naval Dockyards and HMS Victory
- Southampton shopping/Titanic Museum
- Thorpe Park